Bullox

Monday, April 19, 2010

Catcher Contd.

Sorry. This follow up post took a bit longer than expected to get up. Anyway, at this point I have read farther in the book and have a slightly different view of Caulfield.

While the beginning voice and actions of the main character suggest that he doesn't care much for following social norms, I think it's obvious at this point that Holden has something seriously wrong with him. What I like about this book is that it doesn't necessarily say that explicitly or at least not in the beginning. If you think about it, this makes sense. Holden is the one who is telling the story. Surely he wouldn't want to come out right in the beginning of the book and say that he's a crazy creepy dude. Instead, he paints a picture of the well known slacker, multiple time drop out (or kicked out) archetype. However, slowly but surely, the reader is introduced to a compulsive liar with psychological complex upon psychological complex.

His reluctancy to speak or think about his past is something to note as well. As of right now I can't tell if there is a specific memory or experience that he wants to keep secret or if the entire general experience of his upbringing is being repressed. I think either way it would be interesting and I think at this point that's the main thing that's drawing me into the book, not to say that his current situation isn't of interest. Oh well. I guess I'll have to read more to find out.

2 comments:

Tom Brokaw said...

I have found almost the same feelings about Holden trying to avoid something in his past, whether traumatic or just something stupid he did I can't tell for certain. But that could be the death of his brother Allie that caused the blank memories. Could that also be his reasons for lying his way around everyone? Thinking that if he does so he can avoid talking to someone about his past?

brittlee2115 said...

I agree that Holden seems to be getting stranger as the book goes on, and it's getting harder for me to read. AO's idea about Allie's death has a lot to do with his suppressed feelings, but I don't think that's everything. He seems to be in his own world a lot of the time and I'm not sure if he's trying to cover something up or if that's just him.